Sunday, October 11, 2009

Artist Statement – first draft

I'm tasking myself with writing an Artist Statement right now. Here's my first take:

In my digital renderings, I examine the place where science and spirituality meet. To say that I use my work to explore the mysteries of nature would be an understatement. Perhaps some examples will serve us here...an angler fish perches in a tree, the glow from it’s headlamp illuminating a book on meditation. A Tibetan demon peers through a window where a Buddha wearing an apron is busy in the kitchen.

In my series of nine planet images, “The Planets and Planettes” I envision these heavenly bodies in an entirely new way. Each exists in a world of its own, involved in the arcane activities of his or her own private mythology. These images can be enlarged to mural scale, 5 feet high by 11 feet wide. The addition of Sedna, the Sun, and the Moon would make for a set of 12.

The enormous amount of of detail in my work imparts a sense of otherworldliness to everyday objects, whether a planet, a mole, or a petunia. Though the work is figurative, each area of minute texture and pattern becomes a world of abstraction all on its own that draws the eye inward providing a glimpse of the world of spirit at the quantum level. I seem to be looking at my subject through a microscope, getting closer and closer, till we merge together into one entity.

Whether it’s an orangutan in a dressing gown with a lollipop in one hand and Mao’s little Red Book in another or a “Buddhess” bathing a passel of axolatls (amphibious pink animals often used as pets) in a fifties-style kitchen, I leave my the viewer with a feeling that the the universe is a benevolent and far more humorous place than we ever dared to imagine. In a world such as this, anything is possible, and nothing can be taken for granted.

I have questions about this: length? Should it include any biographical info or info about projects I have worked on? Art exhibitions? What motivates me (for example my interest in science). I'd love to hear any suggestions or comments!

1 comment:

  1. This is great SAm! It makes me want to buy your stuff. I'm not sure what it will be used for but it's a great read as is. Erin

    ReplyDelete